But Isn't That Crazy?

It just so happens to be the season of life for making plans. For example, I have a friend, Chelsea, who is getting married this summer, planning to go to grad school in the fall, and then wanting to start a family in about two years. 

One time, she was explaining this proposed plan to another friend of ours, Rachael. Rachael listened and then replied, "So let me get this straight. You want to get married this summer and then start graduate school this fall. By the time you are finished, you will only have maybe a half of a year or less to teach before you start having kids. And you want to be a full-time stay at home mom for the first several years. That kind of doesn't make any sense."

Chelsea paused and replied thoughtfully, "Yeah, you're right. That doesn't make any sense."

As Rachael relayed this story back to me, we laughed together because we both know Chelsea's personality, and we understand that she is so excited about planning this next phase of her life. Rachael said to me, "You know, sometimes it just takes someone else repeating your plan back to you to help you see that it doesn't make sense."

And it's true. I, too, am in the plan-making stage of life. I took my board exams just yesterday because I am planning to be a nurse. I plan to go to Burkina Faso in two days, stay for two months on a survey trip, and maybe even move back there long term in a few years. I am planning to come back from the trip this summer, get an apartment with a friend, and start a job as a labor and delivery nurse. All of this is in preparation for a future in missions in Burkina Faso - a third world, poverty stricken, far-away, and potentially dangerous place. 

And it took someone repeating all that back to me to make me realize, you know, this doesn't make very much sense. 

Why would a young single girl move to a foreign country right out of college when she could stay here, close to her family, settle down in a good job, start saving money, maybe meet a man and start a family, and build a good life for herself? Why would she sell all her stuff and commit to spending who knows how long in a desolate place? It really doesn't make any sense at all. 

I was thinking about all this while jogging this morning, and that's when a perfect song came on my ipod. It is called "Crazy" by MercyMe.

Why I would I spend my life longing for the day that it would end?
Why would I spend my time pointing to another man?
Isn't that crazy?

How can I find hope in dying, with promises unseen?
How can I learn your way is better
In everything I'm taught to be?
Isn't that crazy?

I have not been called to the wisdom of this world
But to a God who's calling out to me.
And even though the world may think 
I'm losing touch with reality,
It would be crazy 
To choose this world over eternity

And if I boast, let me boast
Of filthy rags made clean
And if I glory, let me glory
In my Savior's suffering.
Isn't that crazy?

And as I live this daily life
I trust you for everything.
And I will only take a step
When I feel You leading me.
Isn't that crazy?

I have not been called to the wisdom of this world,
But to a God who is calling out to me.
And even though the world my think 
I'm losing touch with reality,
It would be crazy 
To choose this world over eternity.

Yes, I guess what I am doing is kind of crazy. But that's what knowing Jesus does - it takes you on the adventure of a lifetime as you recklessly abandon and surrender your own life to follow Him to ends of the earth. And yes, I guess it is even a little dangerous, but I have yet to find a command to "be safe" in the Bible. I read, "Be strong and courageous," and "Go into all the world," and "I will be with you until the very end of the age," and "My hand will protect you." Isn't that crazy? Yes, it is wild, but it's gonna be great. 

Thank you, Jesus, for doing things that don't make sense. It doesn't make sense that you would give your very life for the salvation of the world. It doesn't make sense that you would love us relentlessly despite how much we fail you. It doesn't really make sense that salvation comes by grace instead of by works. And because it doesn't make sense in the eyes of the world, it makes us fall before you in absolute awe and worship. Now, help us to respond to you in ways that don't make sense by sacrificing our own lives and giving up the things that the world calls valuable in order to live sold-out for you, for you are the only one who truly satisfies. It feels kind of crazy, yet it is the only thing that makes absolute sense. 

Comments