A Semester in Song

Every year at the end of the fall semester, I feel a huge sense of accomplishment not only because I completed another semester of nursing school, but also because I completed another season in my life - and am stronger because of it.

I get into a very reflective mood when I think about everything that has happened in these past five months, and it is incredibly amazing just how much God has done. At the end of every semester, but especially this one, I feel like I am a newer person because I have grown in so many ways. It is as though I have been sent through fire and water and come out more purified. How could so much growth and change come about in one short semester? I find myself asking. Soemtimes I just wish things would slow down and that I could have a period of my life when I am not rapidly growing and things might actually stay somewhat the same, but then I realize that is not what I want at all. Really, there is nothing that I want more than to be constantly growing, deepening my relationship with God and others, and becoming the follower of Jesus that I long to be through the crazy process of purification.

So looking back on this semester and all the awesome things God has done, I have a hard time putting it all into words, even when I am talking to the Lord. So when I don't what to say or how to pray, I plug in some music. When I listen to the lyrics and melodies of worship songs, I find the words that my heart has been trying to express. Tears even come to my eyes as I find the perfect meaningful words to say to God.

I also find the words needed to express my reflections of this most recent season of my life. As this semester comes to a close, the following few song lyrics beautifully express my thoughts and prayers.

When I think about nursing school and how I have made it thus far while still keeping my sanity (for the most part) and making friends that will last a lifetime, I sing these words:


All the way my Savior leads me
Cheers each winding path I tread
Gives me grace for every trial
Feeds me with the living Bread
You lead me and keep me from falling
You carry me close to Your heart
And surely Your goodness and mercy will follow me
("All the Way My Savior Leads Me" by Chris Tomlin)
 
And when I think about how God has answered my prayer regarding a missions team by allowing me the opportunity to go Burkina Faso, Africa, this summer (and hopefully one day long-term), I sing these words:


 
Jesus you have me completely
Every breath I breathe
I am absolutely in love
Jesus I am yours forever
All of me surrenders
I am absolutely in love with you
("Absolutely" by Starfield)

And then, when my book was publsihed this semester, I thanked God with these words:


Standing on this mountaintop
Looking just how far we’ve come
Knowing that for every step
You were with us

Kneeling on this battle ground
Seeing just how much You’ve done
Knowing every victory
Was Your power in us

Scars and struggles on the way
But with joy our hearts can say
Yes, our hearts can say

Never once did we ever walk alone
Never once did You leave us on our own
You are faithful, God, You are faithful
("Never Once" by Matt Redman)

One of the greatest blessings of my entire year, which carried over into this semester, was my trip to Chimala, Tanzania, Africa.

 
The people I met and the encounters with God that I had will forever mark my heart.
 
 
I have been living in the wake of Tanzania while eagerly anticipating my next trip to Africa. Knowing that God has written mission work as the purpose for my life, these words mean so much to me:

I may be weak
Your Spirit's strong in me
My flesh may fail
but my God, you never will
("Give Me Faith" by Elevation Worship)
 
And finally last, but certainly not least, I thank God for the many "little blessings" of this semester - a circle of friends that inspires me to know God more and live out the mission of Jesus...

 
 
...a family that supports me, encourages me, makes me laugh, makes me feel confident about who I am in Christ, and pushes me onward to know God...
 
 
 
...and one thousand more daily gifts like morning coffee dates with friends, our traditional games-and-a-movie-night each Friday, meals and devos with my community group, late night Sonic runs with my roommate, praying for nations at the All Missions Fellowship (AMF) every week, worshipping at Sanctuary, and taking spontaneous breaks from nursing research to see Willie and Korrie Robertson from Duck Dynasty speak at Harding.
 
And oh, it all truly comes down to just One. Jesus, the One who sustains me through it all, the One who wakes me each morning with new mercies and tucks me in at night with faithful love. There are ten thousand reasons for my heart to find.
 
The sun comes up, it's a new day dawning
It's time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me
Let me be singing when the evening comes
 
You're rich in love, and You're slow to anger
Your name is great, and Your heart is kind
For all Your goodness I will keep on singing
Ten thousand reasons for my heart to find
("10,000 Reasons" by Matt Redman)
 

 In my mountain tops and my valleys, this song has been my anthem this semester:

In the morning when I rise
In the morning when I rise
In the morning when I rise
Just give me Jesus
 
Give me Jesus, give me Jesus
You can have all this world
Just give me Jesus
("Give Me Jesus" by Jeremy Camp)

Comments