Shower Me

The bedroom floor exploded with pink and green as we dumped all our purchases onto the floor. We spread out the fabric, paint, ribbon, and all sorts of crafty things that we had just purchased. The four of us club sisters in Chi Omega Pi then went to work, creating gifts for our upcoming new members - all of course in pink and green, our club colors.

Each fall semester, when new girls are inducted into the club, old members pair up to become "big sisters" for each of the new members. Our purpose is to welcome them into the club, build a friendship with them, support them throughout the induction week process, and shower them with fun and cute gifts. They work hard throughout club week, and it is our joy to reward them with sweet surprises.

Each day of the week, we treat them with a gift. The first night we decorated their dorm room doors with pink and green streamers, balloons, and poster board. Throughout the next five days, we leave them surprises - chocolate in their mailboxes, notes and text messages of encouragement, and their favorite Sonic drinks for a late night snack. Each night when they return to their dorms, they will find a gift package for them at the front desk - pink and green candy, a ChiOs-themed coffee mug or picture frame, painted canvases, a pink and green blanket, and more.

After day one, I received a text message from one of my little sisters. "Thanks for the coffee mug! You guys are too good to us!" it read.

The truth is, I have had a ton of fun this week making and giving gifts. Plus, I remember how good it felt to receive such constant encouragement when I was pledging the club. A little encouragement goes a long way.

Every time I walk by the front desk of my dorm and see it loaded with club-colored gifts, I am reminded of God's great talent at gift-giving. Sometimes, I feel like he just showers me with gifts for no reason. This week has been one of those times.

He gave me a break from homework this weekend to attend the homecoming bonfire, football game, and musical. That doesn't seem like much, but realize that any social event is a bonus for this nursing major! I was so thankful just to be able to spend time with friends without thinking about homework.

He gave me my favorite kind of weather - fresh fall coolness with a little bit of sunshine - and the opportunity to have a good conversation with a sweet friend. He has blessed me with a small group from my church that meets every Sunday night for a time of encouragement and strengthening. I also meet with a group of close friends on Sunday night for a time of deep Bible reading and discussion, which is another huge gift I experienced this week. I had a great clinical day Tuesday, successful paperwork, and a vacation from clinical on Thursday. In addition to all this, I have been blessed this week by my roommate and my sisters in Chi Omega Pi.

Just like our little sisters work hard to get into Chi Omega Pi, so we as Christians work with all our hearts to follow Jesus. And just like we shower our "littles" with simple and sweet gifts, so God showers us with blessings that are both sweet and simple. Sometimes I just want to send him a message saying, "Thanks for the sweet little gifts. You are too good to me."

Just because God's gifts are good doesn't mean that this week was perfect and easy. In fact, this week has been very trying because of the amount of stress I have experienced related to school and things outside of school. Life in general can get demanding and tiring, and I have had my share of that this week as well. But that doesn't lessen God's love, nor does it diminish his sweet gifts.

Whether we feel on top of the world or down in the dumps, God's character does not change. His love remains the same, and His generosity does, too. He gives good gifts; we just need the openness to see, accept, and recieve them with thanksgiving. Sometimes, his gifts are big answers to prayer that are easily recognizable. Other times, his gifts are small surprises. It's a matter of recognizing the simple and sweet things that he sends our way.

So check your mail, check your texts, check your dorm. Check the unexpected places for God's little love messages. You have a heavenly Father that loves you, and it is his delight to shower you with blessings as you trust in him.

" 'Bring the whole tithe into the storeroom, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,' says the Lord Almighty, 'and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you won't have room enough for it.' " (Malachi 3:10)

Comments