Hurry Up

I came across a Scripture this week that I don't think I have ever read. Even though I have done those read-through-the-Bible programs, I would not have recognized this particular verse had you mentioned it to me. I suppose I have read it before now, but I had never really read it. And when I think about it, I realize that I can re-read a verse that I've read a thousand times before, and there will come a moment when I feel like I finally read it for the first time.

That's just one of the many beauties of God's marvelous Word.

And this particular verse, the one I really read for the first time this week, was exactly what I needed to hear. Another one of the beauties of God's Word.

In Isaiah 5, Isaiah points out some powerful "woes" to the rebellious people of Israel, who have neglected God as their first love and turned to all sorts of other things to find pleasure and satisfaction.

"Woe to those who draw sin along with cords of deceit, and wickedness as with cart ropes..."

"Woe to those who call evil good and good evil..."

"Woe to those who are heros at drinking wine..."

"Woe to those who deny justice to the innocent..."

And then there is was, right in the middle of all these terrible "woes" - the verse I had never read until just now.

"Woe to those who say, 'Let God hurry, let Him hasten His work so we may see it...'" (Isaiah 5:19)

I literally stopped reading just to think. I may not frequently draw sin along with cords of deceit or be a hero at drinking wine, but how often do I ask God to hurry up?

A few verses later, it adds, "Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes and clever in their own sight."

Oh how I ask God to hurry. In doing so, I fall into thinking that I am wise in my own eyes.

Hurry, God, and answer this prayer.
Hurry, God, and bring healing.
Hurry, God, and reconcile this relationship.
Hurry, God, and tell me what I am supposed to do with my future.

Then I hear Isaiah reminding me, "Woe to those who say, 'Let God hurry'...I will wait for the Lord...I will put my trust in Him." (Isaiah 8:17)

And I am reminded of my mom, who says, "God is rarely early, but He is never ever late."

So I am reorganizing my thinking and committing to no longer asking the Lord to hurry it up. After all, He is worthy of our absolute trust, and He asks us to wait for Him. We have heard, and now must believe, that God's timing is perfect and that He has His plans for us written out and marked down just right (Psalm 139:16).

Now I am changing my prayers. Lord, take your time. I am still. I am listening. I am waiting and hoping in you. I will enjoy this journey and not expect to arrive prematurely. Thank you for working out your plans for me. I am not the wise one here; you are. And I trust you absolutely.

Comments

  1. Thank you, Ashli! I needed to hear that just now! I seemed to have missed that verse myself!!I love your prayer and plan to make it my own. I love you!!!
    xoxmom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment