"That Cool Counselor"

Several years ago, when I was in junior high school, I left Camp Tahkodah one hot July afternoon and said goodbye through the rear view mirror. It was there that I learned how to ride a horse and shoot a bow. I loved swinging off the rope swing into the creek and licking on frozen grape juice every afternoon at the canteen. Camp reminds me of shaving cream fights and trash can milkshakes. I have so many fond memories of making new friends, meeting cool counselors, and learning from influencial Bible class teachers. Faith and fun were interwoven, and it was there at Camp that I began to learn that my joy and my faith in God could be one and the same.

It was a little hard to leave the dusty camp road and all the memories with it behind on that blistering hot summer afternoon. But as I said goodbye, I thought that it was time to move on and that I would never return.

Until now. Now, as a Harding student, I have the opportunity to be that "cool counselor" who has tons of fun and lives passionately for Christ at the same time. Maybe I will be known as "the counselor who went to Africa"...or maybe as "the bandaged counselor who had a bike wreck the day before camp and now is covered in ace wrap." I prefer the former, but oh well. That's another story.

Most of all, I want to build relationships with the kids God puts in my path so that I can share with them how exciting, adventurous, and satisfying it is to surrender wholeheartedly to the Lord and live recklessly abandoned to Him. I want to be known as that "cool counselor who really loves Jesus and makes everybody else want to love Him, too."

As I go to Camp for the next three weeks, I ask you to pray that very thing for me. "Pray also for me  that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I may fearlessly proclaim the mystery of the gospel." (Ephesians 6:19)

I probably won't be blogging while I am there, but I promise to share lots of "God stories" when I return. In the meantime, please pray for me, the other counselors, the staff, and the children of God that we will be loving on. I am expecting God to do big things, and I ask you to pray for them!

Comments

  1. Camp is one of the greatest things in the world. I'm addicted to it! :) I'm glad you get to be a part of it again! Have tons of fun and a blessed, blessed time! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment