Pop Rocks

“How am I going to give them these things without scaring them to death?” I wondered aloud as I held the Pop Rocks in my hands. Mrs. Patty gave them to me to share with two boys in the males’ ward where I was working. One you have already met, my seven-year-old friend, Jeremiah. The other young boy, Odakis, is fourteen. He has a fractured femur, which has left him immobilized in traction for six to eight weeks just like Jeremiah.

Most of the day, they both just lay there, quietly entertaining their own thoughts. Over the past few days, we have made an effort to bring smiles to their faces with bubbles, balloon animals, coloring books, and paper snowflakes.

Today, we thought some Pop Rocks might cheer them up.

Since they have surely never had Pop Rocks here in Chimala, I wondered aloud, "How am I going to give them these things without scaring them to death?" Mrs. Patty agreed to go with me to the bedside. With huge smiles on our faces, we walked over to Jeremiah and Odakis. We couldn't wait to see how they would react.

Since I didn’t know how to explain Pop Rocks in Swahili (I am not sure I could explain them in English), I put some in my own mouth, stood in between the boys’ beds, opened my mouth wide, and let them listen. Then I offered it to them and let them lick it off my own fingers. At first, all I got were blank stares that said what in the world is this stuff?

As soon as Mrs. Patty explained that it was not medicine, everyone around wanted to try the crazy American candy. In no time, the whole ward encircled us, and I passed the little bag around for everyone to try.

Then the miracle occurred. I heard laughter! Normally, the patients and visitors in the ward keep to themselves, but the pop rocks amazingly brought everyone together – and laughing! The dark room filled with light right before my eyes.

Today I learned my lesson: it is the unexpected and simple things that bring the most joy. This is truly the miracle – finding joy and laughter in the midst of suffering and pain. Today it only took a pouch of Pop Rocks to make a difference.

Since I saw the difference that a bag of Pop Rocks made in the ward today, it makes me wonder what would happen if we lived this way everyday. As a nurse, I am expected to work with needles and syringes and pills and gauze, but I found that a pouch of Pop Rocks made the biggest difference today. If we set aside our “normal”  tasks and look for the unordinary instead, I think we will begin to see more miracles. If we set aside the “expected” and look instead for the unexpected ways to love others, we may see something we are not expecting after all. And then, if we allow God to open our eyes to the needs around us, we may find more joy in serving others in the simple but powerful ways.

It’s as surprising and miraculous as Pop Rocks.

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing your amazing story Ashli. We all miss the 'simple' in our life due to the performance grid the world wants to put on everything. God wants to keep it simple in every way, especially with Him. Thank you for giving that special love away and may God's blessings continue to flood your life in every way.Pleaase give Ana a big hug from me :) Love, Papa John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I like this story Ashli. It reminds me of that time last semester when we all shared a bag of pop rocks that laughed at them just like these kids laughed at them. lol they are a funny candy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment