Storm Chasers

"Are you still planning on going to the function tonight?" I yelled across our suite. Chelsea walked into the room with her floral shirt, khaki shorts, white knee socks, and tourist visor. "I guess that answers my question,"  I said as I giggled at her silly attire. She definitely looked ready for the luau function that our club was hosting at the beach on Greers Ferry Lake.

The only problem was the weather. Practically the whole state was under a tornado watch for the evening. We peered out the window at the dark clouds before heading down to the parking lot to get the car. "This could be the bext idea we ever had!" I said.

As soon as we started driving, it became apparent that we were driving directly into the storm clouds. When we arrived at a town called Sugarloaf, we turned on the radio to hear that long obnoxious beep followed by this announcement: The following areas are under a tornado warning until 6:30 PM: Greers Ferry Lake... "Hey, isn't that where we are going?" Anthony said. Sugarloaf... We all turned to our left and looked out the window. "Hey, there's Sugarloaf mountain right there!" I said. We all laughed nervously. "But it said 6:30, right?" The clock read 6:26. "That means it is almost over." I said. Anthony added, "Or that's almost here."

About that time came the rain. It was definietly tornado rain. Torrent rain. When we arrived at the sandy beach area where the luau was being held, we sprinted to the nearest pavilion where all our other Hawaiian-dressed friends were standing. "Welcome to the luau!" I announced. "Welcome to the tsunami!" my friend responded.

Looking around, everyone was soggy and wet, yet bursting with smiles and excitement. Our activity director announced, "We've checked the radar, and there should be no more storms!" A cheer arose from the group and we carried on with our chatter and laughter. Huddled together under a tiny pavilion in the pouring rain, we ate a bar-b-que feast as we listened to the thunder and watched the storm clouds roll on over.

I am thankful for God's protection over us as we ventured out into such weather. I thought we were about to be on the next "Storm Chasers" episode...or "America's Funniest Home Videos." But even more than that, I am thankful for the attitude I saw in the people at our function. Despite not-optimal circumstances - eighty people in soggy floral shirts crammed into a tiny pavilion with no protection from the wind and drifting rain - we had a fantastic time. We still laughed and played and ate and enjoyed each other.


I am glad we chased the storm instead of ran from it. When the rain came and the thunder crashed, there was protection from the storm. We had a sufficient shelter. In the middle of a storm, there is no where else I would rather be than with my sisters and friends, wrapped in tightly around each other, encouraging one another and enjoying the laughter and fellowship. There is probably a life lesson in that.

Comments