I'd Like a Route 44 Please

"Hi, there! I have a diet coke and a strawberry limeade here for you." I hand them two straws and say with a smile, "Your total is $3.21. Have you heard about our fundraiser today? All the tips go to Jacob's place, a shelter here in town." The friendly customer hands me a five and tells me to keep the change. I stuff it in my right pocket of the Sonic apron I'm wearing, and I march confidently back to the door thinking, I'm gettin' the hang of this!

Then there's the time that I get to the car and get ready to read out the order on the receipt. "Hey, how are you today? I have a..." I glance down at the receipt only to see the letters "SSCB" with the word "mayo" typed underneath. "I have a...uhh...something with mayo?" The customer stared at me blankly. My face turned red as I asked him what he ordered. "A super sonic cheese burger," he answered. "Got it, thanks." I handed him his order and laughed at myself as I walked away, certain that he was laughing, too.

And then one time, I could not figure out this man's change. I just stared at the reciept and the twenty dollar bill he gave me, and my brain went totally numb. I counted out some coins, then muttered, "No, that's not right..." Finally, the man said, "You know what, you can just keep the change." I shyly explained, "Sorry, I'm a volunteer."

And then I dropped an ice cream cone right down the front of my apron. I was certainly no pro at the Sonic car hop, but I had a grand time doing my best. By the end of my shift, I really was getting the hang of it. I know that if everyone else who helped made as much money in tips as I did, we had a very successful Sonic fundraiser for Jacob's Place.

This morning, before going to help with the Sonic fundraiser, I read Lamentations 3:24.

"I say to myself,
'the Lord is my portion;
therefore I will wait for him.'"

I thought again about that Scripture at the end of the day after all my fast-food delivery runs. I thought about Sonic portion sizes, from a kid's sweet tea in a tiny styrophome cup to a route 44 coke that I don't even want to think about drinking all at one time. I love the thought of the Lord being my portion. He is the drink that quenches my spiritual thirst. He fills me up and leaves me satisfied. He is more than enough, my portion. I don't need anything else besides Him. "Taste and see that the Lord is good." (Psalm 34:8) We can taste His goodness in our lives like a sweet snickers blast and know that He is our perfect, satisfying, just-right portion.

I want to crave Jesus like I crave a big Sonic strawberry limeade on a humid summer day in Arkansas. I decided that if Jesus is my portion, I want him to be a route 44.

Comments