Live a Life of Love

My least favorite part about going to Nicaragua is the leaving part. Friday morning, as the van rolled out of the garage and I waved goodbye to all the people I love standing outside the door of the mission, little round tears rolled down my face. Maybe some of those tears were sad ones, but most of them were tears of inexpressible joy. Nicaragua has changed my life, and I have tears to prove it.

After a fun day of sight-seeing that included a zip-line adventure, active volcano visit, trip to the market, and an authentic Nicaraguan meal, we arrived at the hotel where are our group gathered around the swimming pool for a time of worshipful singing. I poured out my heart as I watched the moon move across the sky, for my heart was about to burst with praise and thankfulness anyway.

After everyone dispersed to their rooms, I grabbed my journal, Bible, and pen. I found a quiet bench in a peaceful courtyard, and I plopped down to reflect on everything.

Expecting tears to flow once again, I was pleasantly surprised at an unexpected feeling deep within my heart. I soon recognized it as intense joy and gratitude. Instead of being so sad about leaving, the Lord had filled me joy about coming. He had given me one more amazing experience in Nicaragua, allowed me to participate in His work, and empowered me to share His love with others. He once again showed me the depths of His love, expanded my vision of who He is, and deepened my passion for living a mission life.

I experienced a love like I have never known before - a love that reaches across boundaries and cultures and languages. A love that extends through hurt, suffering, poverty, and pain. A love that cannot be stopped because it is so unconditional. A love that overwhelms and satisfies the soul. A love that overpowers sadness and fills the heart with uncontainable joy.

It's God's love. His amazing love.

And because of Nicaragua, I know what that love looks like. What it feels like. What it tastes and smells like. I have seen God's love put into action, I have given it in measures beyond my own ability, and I have received it in abundant return.

Now, when I read that "God is love" and I sing "Love one another" in four part harmony, I don't shiver because of the melodies and harmonies. No, the chills arise and tears fill my eyes because I believe that "God is love, God is love, God is love" with all my heart when I sing it.

I picture all the children, the church, the landscape beneath the cross, the Casa Maternas, all the conversations, the experiences, the cups of cold water offered in His name, the blocks built, the jokes shared, the hugs held...and I know what love looks like.

And I want to spend the rest of my life loving that way - loving hard, loving honestly, loving joyfully, loving unconditionally, loving well. I will not let this love go, and I will refuse to believe that it only exists in Nicaragua. This love reaches across borders from Nicaragua into the United States, into Searcy, into my own backyard.

It has become my prayer that we will live in pursuit of this love, seeking after it and allowing it to sweep us deeper and deeper into it. May we wake up every morning with the single purpose to freely soak up God's love and pour it out abundantly on everyone around us. In this way, we will all come to know what God's love looks like, and the world will not be able to resist it.

Ephesians 5:1-2
Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

Comments