Passion 2012

Imagine 44,000 college-aged students gathered in one place for one purpose: to weave worship and justice together in their lives. Imagine the Georgia Dome erupting with shouts and applause, not for the winning football team or latest pop culture artist, but for the King of the universe. Imagine the sight of 44,000 pairs of hands raised high and hear the sound of 44,000 voices praising Christ in unison, all rising above the noise of the super sound systems and electric guitars. Imagine passionate, authentic Christians coming together to increase their love, devotion, mission, and boldness for Christ. They are there for Him. Each leaves with a deeper relationship with Him, a life fully surrendered to Him, and a heart for the nations of the world in the name of Jesus.

This is the Passion conference.

Every year in January, the Passion conference is held in Atlanta for college-aged students. In my own words, it is a gigantic gathering of Jesus-lovers who want to be sold-out for Him with a passion that touches every corner of their lives. Passion is not an event, it is a movement. We are a generation united to live passionately for Christ and proclaim His name and fame in our homes, our campuses, our jobs, our country, and all the nations of the world.



Yes, the worship is moving. Yes, the speakers are inspiring. Yes, the sheer number of people there is encouraging. But that's not what makes Passion so amazing. What I love so much about Passion is the presence of God in that place and in the hearts of His people when they gather in His name. I don't want to talk about the speakers or the songs, but about the Name that set this movement in motion, the Name that is above every name, the Name that is worth living and dying for - the beautiful, holy, wonderful name of the Jesus!

Beacuse God was there, 44,000 students were changed over the course of four days. 44,000 hearts were revived and spirits renewed. Many even turned to Christ for the very first time. Others changed the projectory of their lives by turning back to follow Christ. Because God was was there, some people, including myself, fell more in love with Christ and experienced the lighting of a fire in their souls. Because God was there, a generation of Christians is devoted to live fearlessly and boldly proclaim the great news about Jesus in all that they do! Because God was there, His Word was opened and His Spirit spoke to many hearts. Because God was there, tears were shed and hands were raised during the singing of worship songs. (There might have been a huge dance party, too!) Because God was there, poor college students raised over 3 million dollars for the cause of fighting modern day slavery.

Today, there exist 27 million slaves...more than any other time in history. Because Passion is about uniting worship with justice, we gathered not only to glorify God with our worship but also with our giving. Made aware of the slavery situation today, we gave generously to set prisoners and slaves free in the name of Christ. Our goal was 1 million, but because God was there, we collectively gave over 3 million dollars, which will be given to a dozen different organizations that are on the front lines of prevention, rescue, and restoration.


I am so thankful that I got to be a part of something bigger than myself by going to the Passion conference. But more than that, I am thankful to catch vision of the movement that Passion is all about. This generation is rising up to live abandoned lives for Christ, and I am a part of that. I experienced the presence of God in a powerful and moving way, and I will not be the same. I will live a life of worship that shouts God's name, and I will proclaim His fame and renown wherever I go and in whatever I do! This is not to make me feel good, but to bring glory to God so that others may know Him. There is nothing else I would ever consider living for.

As you read this, I want to share this good news with you! Without Christ, we are trapped in sin that leads to death. We need a savior to call us up from the dead. Jesus Christ died to set us free from sin and death, and then He rose from the dead to make us alive in Him. There is no greater news! Recognizing your need for a savior, accepting His grace, dying to yourself and the desires of this world, and surrendering your life to follow Him is the best response to such a great gift. Nothing else brings life and satisfaction. Nothing else brings freedom, hope, peace, joy, and purpose. This is the gospel, the good news, that I want the world to know.

Our God is alive and working in this place in this time. I praise Him with all my heart for being so full of love and grace towards us. He has become my everything, and I pray that He is your everything, too!

And I ask you to "pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel." (Ephesians 6:19)

Comments