Just Dance

"But I don't know what I'm doing!" I frantically said as my sister handed me the wii remote. The music was already going and the game was already beginning.

"Just do it! Just dance!"

That was an appropriate response, considering that the name of this new and bizarre game was "Just Dance." When the music begins, you watch the dancer on the screen and mimic his or her moves. The wii in your hand recognizes your motions and grades you on your performance.

The problem is that I have no idea how to dance. At all. To put a remote in my hand and tell me to "just dance" is begging for hilarious disaster...which is exactly what happened.

Putting all pride and confidence aside, I tried my best to watch the dancer and follow her steps. With hoots and hollers of laughter echoing in the living room, my family cheered me on (while secretly making fun of me behind my back, I'm sure). The amazing thing was what came out of my mouth at the end of the song.

"Let's do it again!"

My family wholeheartedly agreed so that they could see another show of my stunning dancing, but I agreed to play again because I was actually having fun! I know that my dancing skills are severely limited, but after a few minutes, I was getting in the groove of moving with the music. I ended up playing that game and laughing hysterically for hours.

Sometimes we are thrown into situations that we don't know how to deal with or how to handle. We feel inadequate or incapable of carrying out the task that has been placed in our hands. In those moments, the only place we have to go is to the Lord. Then He looks us in the eyes and says, "Just dance!" We may not know the steps or what move is coming next, but He is right there in front of us, guiding us through every beat of the song. When we keep our eyes on Him and follow His actions, we learn how to dance!

What we originally see as impossible tasks or difficult circumstances, we can now see as opportunities to learn how to dance. It is no longer shameful or painful, but joyful. Take the remote, put on your dancing shoes, watch the Lord, and follow His movements. Whenever you feel like you don't know what to do in a difficult situation that you are facing, lean in close to God and hear Him whisper, "Just dance!"

Comments