5. Certainty in Uncertainty

Looking back on this past year, one of the biblical passages that I have most treasured on the journey of discernment has been Hebrews 11 - a familiar passage. But since the Word of God is living and active, this chapter took on new meaning when I studied it through the lense of a season of uncertainty. The way I fell upon the passage, or the way it fell upon me, was rather unplanned and unexpected. 

I was asked to share at one of my supporting congregations about my missions experience. They were going through a series on faith, using Hebrews 11 as the guiding passage. I was given the section on Abraham, and they told me that I reminded them of Abraham, who obeyed when he didn’t know where he was going. 

I told them that if they wanted to hear from someone who doesn’t know where they’re going, I’m your gal. 

This plunged me into a study of Hebrews 11. I mediated on it, memorized it, and discovered such rich truth in it for my discernment process that I didn’t even care about giving a sermon anymore. The study of it had been for me, yet I was eager to share what God had taught me. 

Abraham’s life was characterized by uncertainty. He was called to a land he didn’t know. He was promised a son when he was way too old. God asked him to sacrifice that son. In every situation of uncertainty, Abraham acted with certainty and acted in obedience. So how can I be certain in my uncertainties, too? 

Hebrews 11 reveals the answer. Not only Abraham, but all the heroes of the faith in the chapter rested on great certainty in their uncertainties. The common thread that ties them all together is not just a vague “faith”. What links them all together is that they did not receive what was promised. That’s emphasized two times in the chapter. I had to blink my eyes and read it again. Wait, what? After reading about such heroic and obedient followers of God, I expected the story to end with everybody getting what was promised as a reward for their faith. Isn’t that the conclusion of the matter that we hope for? Even in our own uncertainties?

But the passage clearly states the opposite. Twice. What makes the people in Hebrews 11 heroes, and the common thread that ties all their faith together, is that they exercised faith though they didn’t get the promises. They got something better. 

What could be better than receiving a long awaited promise? If we know that God rewards those who earnestly seek him (11:6), what is the reward if it’s not the promise fulfilled? Abraham’s story gives the answer when God speaks in Genesis 15:1. 

“I am your shield, I am your very great reward.” 

The heroes of the faith died without receiving their promises in full. But they eagerly awaited a heavenly homeland. With their eyes fixed on that, they walked with God. They experienced his glory and his presence, which was better than seeing the promise fulfilled. The last verse of chapter 11 and the beginning of chapter 12 gives the full revelation of the promise - Jesus Christ, who is for us and them the “something better” by far. 

That is how we walk with certainty in uncertainty. We may be unsure of the circumstances but we are sure of God. We may be strangers and exiles on the earth, but we know that God is preparing a city for the faithful. We may not get all the mini rewards we asked for, but we know Him who is our very great reward. We may not see physically what we are looking for, but we are certain of what we do not see…

...since our eyes are fixed on eternity. 

Comments