An Unexpected Visitor

When I heard a tap on the front door, I wasn’t expecting anyone. As soon as I saw who it was, I let out a joyful exclamation, and the woman outside with a baby tied to her back broke into a beautiful smile. 

She delivered her baby prematurely at the hospital a couple of months ago, and just last week I visited her in her home to encourage her. After a wonderful visit, I made conversation as I was on my way out. “Thanks for the visit! You know you are welcome to come to my house anytime.” I explained how to find it, she nodded, and I never thought she would actually come. 

How silly of me. 

I should have remembered that visiting someone in their home (unannounced and for no good reason) is one of the most important cultural values in a friendship in west Africa. That’s how people communicate love and value. That’s why my visit to her home meant so much to her, and why her visit to my home meant so much to me. It means we’re officially friends. 

While sitting on my couch and chatting about unimportant things, she suddenly and comfortably announced, “I want to be a Christian.” 

I was totally taken off guard in the best way possible. Her comment came out of nowhere, yet it was what I’d been longing to here her say ever since I met her a few months ago when she was admitted to labor and delivery in preterm labor. 

She went on to explain the difference she saw in Christians, the wonderful person Jesus was, and how she had been touched deeply in her heart one night when watching the Jesus film in the hospital ward.

“I started having dreams of Jesus that very night,” she explained. “And I’ve wanted to follow him ever since.” 

We talked through the gospel, and it wasn’t new to her. She understood bits and pieces while still mixing it with some deep rooted beliefs about work-based religion. So we talked about that some more. 

One of my housemates had left for the United States a few days prior, leaving me a French Bible that she had bought. “I don’t know who this is for, but I know you’ll find someone to give it to,” she had said. 

So my friend got her first Bible and we set up a time to meet together to study it and go to church. She’s open, she’s hungry, and God is clearly doing something in her life. Even though she doesn’t understand everything or have it all figured out, whom among us did when we also decided to become followers of Christ? Praise God that passing some kind of theological test is not required to be a Jesus follower. 

“If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and belief in your heart that he rose from the gave, then you will be saved.” We read that together. 

After my friend left, I marveled. For one reason, I prayed specifically and asked the Lord for two people to disciple this year, and this friend makes the second. But another reason was this: I pray so often for opportunities to witness to people about the Lord Jesus Christ, and I try so hard to make those opportunities happen. But both of the times this year when God truly opened doors to share the gospel, it was with two young women who randomly showed up at our house and sat down on our couch.It happened right there both times. Unplanned. Unexpected. Amazing. 

It reminds me of some important things that I tend too quickly to forget. First and foremost, the work of witnessing is in God’s hands and God’s timing; not mine. I do better to trust him and wait then to force it only to make myself feel obedient and effective. 

Also, “Always be ready to give an answer for the hope that you have.” No wonder the Bible gives us this advice when it comes to sharing our faith. Perhaps the most effective witnessing is done when we are ready to give Christ-focused answers in the context of real life questions in real life friendships. Practically speaking, be ready...just in case someone sits down on your couch one day and tells you out of the blue that they want to become a Christian.

And finally, never underestimate the importance of simply making friends and showing hospitality. I had a professor who had a sign in his home that said, “The kingdom of heaven is in relationships.” Go see people. Let people come in. Sometimes you need to be out and about and doing things, and sometimes you just need to be at home with an open spot on the couch. I’m good at the first; I’m learning the second. Our natural tendency might be the first, but we will find great reward in the second. For the kingdom of heaven is in relationships. 

Comments

  1. This is Erik Tryggestad at The Christian Chronicle, a newspaper for Churches of Christ. I was referred to your website and I absolutely love your writing. I'm wondering if I can use this particular post in our publication as a devotional piece. If you can email me at erik@christianchronicle.org that'd be great. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment