What is Written In Between

Opening my journal to the most recent page, I find a small blank space at the bottom of the right hand side. I pause, tempted to turn the page and start a new entry and dedicate a whole page to what I am about to write. It feels significant enough. I have been waiting to write this since the moment I started this journal back in the summer.

I began writing at the same time that I began feeling that God might be leading me somewhere different, somewhere unexpected. Since writing the first Scripture on the first page, I have embarked on an adventure of seeking God’s guidance for my next steps. That’s why I have been waiting for this moment, this monumental entry. I finally get to write about how God has spoken and how he has guided me. Instead of writing questions, I finally get to write answers. He has revealed the steps I have been asking him about over and over again; he has opened doors for the future. He has responded to my prayers and been faithful in my waiting.

I turn to a clean page and put my pen down on it, almost wanting to hear the hallelujah chorus and have confetti fall from the ceiling. I am just about ready to write in big bold letters I FINALLY HAVE CLARITY. But instead, I turn back to that small space on the previous page and start writing in small print at the bottom. I squeeze in just a few lines with carefully chosen words to express my richest praise.

I’m not down-playing the enormity of what God has done; I’m just emphasizing something else.

Because as good as it feels and as thankful as I am to have my prayers for guidance and direction answered, what has been the most rewarding is not writing the final entry. It was about writing everything in between. Every prayer. Every Scripture that spoke to my heart and reminded me of who God is. Every time I documented how he spoke along the way. Every reminder of God’s faithfulness in the waiting. Making the decision was amazing, don’t get me wrong, but not as amazing as the joy of the journey - the seeking, the searching, the listening, the drawing close to God to hear from him.

I love what my mom says: “God is rarely early, but he is never ever late.” It’s true; he has revealed direction for my future at what felt like the last second. But I see how his timing is perfect, and perhaps he withheld the plan so that I would learn to lean in close to hear his whisper.

I rejoice in God’s revelation, and in the next breath, my heart whispers “what’s next?” because I don’t want to stop seeking him, and I don’t want to lose this closeness to him.

It’s a sweet Christmas gift from the Lord, and it’s a great way to start the new year - having these prayers answered and these new adventures to look forward to in the coming year. Thank you for your support and prayers along the way! But these last few months have reminded me that the real joy is not found in the destination, but in the journey. It’s more in the seeking than the finding. It’s not just the peak, it’s the process. It’s not so much the writing of the final journal entry, but the finding of the stories in between. For in the seeking, we find that he is our very great reward. He is our delight, our greatest treasure.

Comments