Cucumber Plants

I lightly scrape the soft ground with the hoe, pulling up weeds off the surface without disturbing the roots of the corn. It's about two feet high now, and the rains are coming every three days or so. Between rains, I take the hoe and till around the corn stalks to keep the weeds down. I mound up the extra dirt around the stalks to support them as they grow taller, so that the wind doesn't blow them over. 

When I garden, I think. It's therapeutic. I think about my teammate sharing at the team meeting this morning that she will be leaving in September. It was a hard announcement to make, one that came with tears, but also with support and words of encouragement as we all realize that she is taking the next step in her walk with God. 

It all makes me think as I work the hoe and the soil. It makes me wonder what's next for me. Recently, I find myself thinking a lot about what's next, and it's not just because of my roommate's departure. I've always seen my life as a series of stepping stones, one event leading to the next, one season of life preparing me for what is to come. Even being here in Africa feels like a stepping stone to what's next, but what is the next thing exactly? And how will I know it? On one hand, I look at how well ministry is going and how I am not essentially needed, and I feel like my work here could be done and that God could be preparing my heart to leave. Then I look at the cucumber plants in my garden, which were so small just a few weeks ago. They are starting to bloom now, and little tiny cucumbers will start producing soon. "Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest if you do not give up." (Galatians 6.9)

I keep thinking as I feel the soft dirt between my fingers and scrape it out from underneath my nails. Is God's plan for us a fixed path or does he give us the freedom to choose? 

Later that afternoon, Daniel and his wife Valerie come to visit with their fifteen-month old baby tied to Valerie's back. The first thing they want to do is see the garden, and they help me determine what is a weed and what is a baby tomato plant because I still can't tell the difference. They tell me I should plant a papaya tree because it grows quickly and will produce in the next three years, and I silently wonder if I will even be here to see it. "In just a few years, this garden will produce ten times as much fruit!" Daniel said, and I wonder if he is speaking prophecy over me. 

We sit on the front porch and drink tea while Emily swings with Gabrielle in the hammock. We talk about ministry and the future, making plans for a summer Bible study for teen girls and a village medical ministry. It feels good to dream about the future, but it hurts a little too because everything seems a little uncertain right now. 

When dusk begins to settle in, Emily and I take a moto ride up to the hill to watch the sunset, but instead we run into some mud on the path and slip until we both end up on the ground laughing, completely muddying our clothes and the moto. 


We go to bed laughing about our first moto accident in the books. "It's been a good day today," she says. I'm thankful for days like today - days to enjoy the present moment while still dreaming about the future. I lay in bed staring out the window and listening to the crickets in the garden and my mind goes back there where I'm pulling weeds and thinking about what's next. I still wonder, but I have peace about the journey ahead, knowing that wherever God leads, it will be good. For now, I am here, watching the cucumbers flower and grow and waiting for him to take me to the next stepping stone. 

Comments

  1. Ashli,

    What a beautifully written outpouring of your heart. I don't know you and don't have your context of living and serving God in a foreign land.

    My counsel is to direct you to II Sam 7:

    Nathan said to the king, “Go, do all that is in your mind, for the Lord is with you.”

    2 Samuel 7:3

    I am sure your are already familiar with this passage yet it is helpful to consider. The idea is: check your heart--your motives. Are you about the glory of God? Then do what is in your heart yet realize God can change course overnight.

    David built his palace then looked out the window and saw the tabernacle of God and realized, "Huh, I live in this beautiful palace and God dwells in a tent". So he determined to build God a house.

    Good idea? He doesn't know so he checks with Godly counsel and seeks the wisdom of Nathan who exclaims: Check your motive and go for it. Are you walking with God? Are you about the glory of God? Then do what is in your mind. Yet we find we must keep a light hand at the wheel for that very night God changed courses.

    God's response just floors us all. It is as if God responds, "What? You David want to humble yourself before me? I will humble myself before you! You want to exalt me? I will exalt you!" Hey David, tell you how this is gonna go. You will not build the temple for me but I will let you make the preparations and here's another thing. You humbled yourself before me now I will lift you up and exalt you above all other kings on the earth. Messiah will come from your loins. Absolutely amazing. This leaves David in complete worship and on his face. His prayer is truly from a man after God's own heart.

    So the guidance for us seems to be: seek godly counsel, consider our motive, if we are about the glory of God then do what is in our heart, be response to God when He changes our plans, be amazed at God's promises, and worship from the heart.

    My personal counsel is to be at peace knowing that you are completely loved by the wonderful God of creation who cannot possibly love you more than He does right now. He has known you since you were conceived and has written your name on His hand. Beyond the cross God cannot God. There is no greater love than for a friend to die and the Son of God did so for us.

    It is okay to have these left or right decisions and even okay to acknowledge difficult times. We know it is at such times that our faith and love grows. In all cases, He remains faithful for He cannot deny Himself.

    Again, I don't know you yet I tell your story often almost weekly to those I work with. All they have to do is ask, "Why does your brother live in Africa?" I dismiss them a few times but if they persist I will tell of the beautiful living metaphor of Jesus the Living water. He was always there. You passed just by Him yet you did not know Him. He is alive and from Him flows streams of living water. Take drink and you can live forever. You formerly worked and toiled and labored to obtain posionous water and watched your children remain in sickness. His water is free and all you need do is receive it as a gift. Amazing to think that you and I will drink from the river that flows from the very throne of God.

    Then David the king went in and sat before the Lord, and he said, “Who am I, O Lord God, and what is my house, that You have brought me this far?

    2 Samuel 7:18


    Gaylon Richter
    Denton, Texas

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment