Missionary Kids

46 kids. 5 days. And at the end of it all, we produced an hour-long musical. Call it talented, call it amazing, call it crazy. All were true. But one thing is certain - we had tons of fun!

This past week, our team helped out with the International Co-Op of Ouagadougou (ICO), a week-long school activity for missionary kids to get together, enjoy community, and put on a musical.

Being around children brings out the child in me, too. I will confess that I may have had just as much fun singing and dancing along with the kids as they did. The songs got stuck in my head, too. I played tag with them, did Zumba with them, and ate rice and peanut sauce with them. I got to be a child again, and I found out how much I love missionary children.

I realize that raising a family overseas is a hot topic and a lot of people have a lot of different opinions. I also know that I, a single gal, have absolutely no expertise in the matter. However, I do know a lot of missionary families, and I have spent extended time with many of their kids even beyond the intensive time of this week. So I state an observation: If raising kids on the mission field makes them turn out like these kids, then I would do it in a heartbeat.

For those of you raising kids on the mission field, I realize that everything is not always easy, nor are your children perfect. I honor and respect you highly for what you are doing and for how you are trusting God with your families, and I think you are amazing. May God give you his supernatural spirit-strength to lead and take care of your families for the glory of his name and the growth of his kingdom.

When it comes to overseas child rearing, I think one big reason people are hesitant is because they fear their children will "miss out" on certain things. Although they might miss out on blue bell ice cream and being in the high school marching band, these kids are getting the chance to travel the world, experience culture, and experience an international community. They are gaining unmatchable experience, and it shapes them developmentally as well as spiritually, emotionally, and relationally.

As a missionary mom said, "If my kids start here (meaning on mission as a family), then just imagine how far God will take them in the future!"

Missionary kids raised in a missionary family grow up with a global, missions mindset. They are they saturated in a serving environment, and they are learning to love Jesus and his people. Not only do the learn about missions, they also make a valuable contribution. Children in missionary families are missionaries themselves. They make up an indispensible part of the team. They have a way to draw in nationals, love and accept them, and touch them with their childlike faith, love, and courage. They learn to be flexible and to go with the flow. They learn to communicate even through language barriers. They learn the importance of family. They are tough because of what they have seen and experienced, and they learn to trust God because honestly, life is hard. As a result of all this, they gain a spiritual depth and maturity that surpasses their years.

Time and time again, these missionary kids blow me out of the water with their maturity, ability to handle changing and unsatisfactory situations, how they treat others, and how much they understand about God and the Bible and what it means to be a follower of Jesus.

I'm not naive in accepting that raising kids on the missionary field has its challenges and disadvantages. But I also imagine that for all the stresses that being a "third-culture kid" involves, the benefits and blessings far outweigh them all. For those of you who are doing it, I know there are moments when you ask why and wonder if you are doing the right thing. All I know is that if God has called you to do it, then he will supply everything you need, and you have inspired me by your bravery and courage to do the hard thing because you believe in the calling of God on your family for the sake of his fame among the nations.

Your kids are wonderful. I hope that one day the Lord will allow me to raise missionary children, too. And I hope they will turn out like yours - including their innocence and experience, all their joys and burdens, all their strengths and quirks.


Comments