Friends, Not Servants

It came to the end of the week, a Friday, and I found myself falling into the old habit of asking myself what I had done this past week. Like I needed to sum up the entire week based on how much I accomplished.

Strangely, I actually hadn't done much. Surprisingly, I was okay with it.

As I reflected on the events of the week, I was oddly at peace with the fact that I hadn't busied myself with lots of activity. This used to make me feel like I wasn't being useful, but Jesus is changing that in me.

So I walked into the training hall where the final day of the church leaders seminar was taking place on that Friday, and I was immediately struck with a realization. I heard their joyful singing, saw the smiles in their faces and the light in their eyes, saw the wives sitting beside their husbands, some cradling toddlers or nursing babies, and it just hit me. I may not have done anything this week, but as soon as I stepped in, I saw God doing something. He is raising up men, women, and families to lead his church. And it filled me with unspeakable joy - a joy that took my breath right out of me and brought tears to my eyes in that conference room.

You see, it's not really about how much we do, but rather about how much we see God doing.

I used to be such a "do-er", feeling better (or more useful) as a Martha than a Mary. I was captive to striving as I call it, which is measuring our days by how much we do or accomplish. Jesus is healing me of it, teaching me to not be the teacher's pet that is always trying way too hard to please the teacher. After all, he says, "No longer do I call you servants because a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from the father I have made known to you." (John 15:15)

How often do we act like servants who are constantly living in fear of displeasing their master? But Jesus has called us friends, which means he is already pleased with us and loves us for who we are. He doesn't only desire for us to serve him (as a slave) but mainly to be with him (as a friend).

I am learning that what pleases him is not how much we do, but about how much we love him and the people around us. But the propelling force behind this love is not to please him; the love is a result of the life-changing love he has shown us. It's natural, like fruit off a vine (John 15). We don't serve him to gain his pleasure, but rather because of his pleasure that he has already bestowed lavishly on us. There is such freedom in this simple truth, a freedom that brings us glorious joy.

It's the joy of knowing Christ and what he did for us, freedom from the unnecessary urge to earn his favor, and liberation to live under his grace and enjoy his presence, his friendship, as our greatest treasure.

So let's quit worrying about how much we do and just look for what God is doing. He is working everywhere, if we would just open our eyes to see something more. Let's let that define our days and give meaning to our moments.

Comments