Don't Plan Too Much

"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

The new year is a time of planning. We think about the things we want to do, accomplish, or change this year. We set goals and make plans. We ask each other, "What big things are coming up in 2017?" and then we talk about the trips we are going to make, the vacations, the move, the project on the house, the wedding, or the newborn baby.

I experience the same thing to an extent here in Burkina. At the beginning of every new year we review our ministry plan and talk about what we are going to do this year. We talk about continuing old projects, moving forward with certain ministries, and creating new ideas.

One thing is certain, a new year gets us planning, planning, panning.

That's why Ephesians 2:10 strikes a sweet chord in our hearts. It's something we need to hear and remember at this moment.

"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

As we plan for 2017, the Lord asks us to remember that he has already planned good works for us to do. As we focus on what we are going to do (our works), he reminds us of what he has already done (that we are his workmanship, meaning that we - our salvation, reconciliation, and adoption as sons and daughters - are evidence of his work).

What a joy and relief to know that as we plan for 2017, God has already planned for us.

As 2017 gets off to a start, enjoy the thinking, dreaming, and plan-making...just don't plan too much. Leave room for God to show you the plans that he has ready made. The planning pressure is officially off, and we are free to enjoy the dreaming of 2017 while anticipating the experience of doing the works that God has prepared in advance for us to do.

As I sit on my front porch this morning and try to practically apply this to my own life, I find myself making a subtle change. Even as I sat down to do my Bible study, my mind was already spinning with questions of what am I going to do today? Instead of entertaining these works-based thoughts, I am modifying the question to who am I going to be today? Instead of planning what to do, I choose who I am going to be. I pray the Holy Spirit will guide the activities of today without much planning on my part, and I focus on being loving, kind, compassionate, generous, thankful, and full of grace no matter what the day may bring.

I hope that you completely enjoy planning for 2017 with whatever new adventures and activities that may bring, and I pray that God blesses this year abundantly with good things. I also pray that he helps you, as he is helping me, to quit being too much of a  "doer" (or planner) and to let him show me who I am to be and to rest in the plan that he has already prepared for me. For us.

Comments