Knit and Woven

I love how the word of God transcends cultures, meaning that as it is inspired by God who transcends time, speaks all languages, and created all cultures, it also applies to different cultures in different ways. Since I live in a different culture, I am just now learning what this looks like, and it's a beautiful thing. 

Let me encourage you with one quick example, found in Psalm 139:13. "You created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." 

The French Bible (Louis Segond) uses the word "tissé" for "knit" or "woven". I heard a speaker this week explain that the most high-quality fabric here in Burkina is "tissé" or woven. And it's true. A "pagne tissé" has a superior quality, a make about it that makes you notice immediately it's difference in standard. A pagne tissé is beautiful, exceptional, high-price, and superior quality. It is worn with pride and complimented by all.

And the Bible teaches that we are woven in this way by the Father. We are "tissé", created with the utmost quality and the highest price. Our value is great because of the quality of which we are made and the exceptionalism of the hands that knit us together. 

No wonder the psalmist says, "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Your works are wonderful; I know it full well."  

May you never forget your value, your worth, and your quality...not because of what you've done but because of who knit you and loves what he has made. You are woven together by the hands that created the universe. And he is still weaving something beautiful in your life. 

Comments