Living Like an African in America

I couldn't believe how little time it took.

It was Monday morning, and I woke up before my alarm, so I got up and got to work. I had luggage to unpack and stuff to find a place for. I had a financial report to fill out and send. I had that list of emails that were still sitting in my inbox because I said, "Oh, I'll take care of that when I get back to the States." I was busy, busy, busy all day long - talking on the phone, communicating about times and places to visit, and organizing all the things I need to do during furlough. 

At the end of the day, I had gotten a lot accomplished. I guess. But I felt terrible. I hadn't left the house, I had hardly talked to anyone face to face, and it was only Monday. I have only been in the US one day, and I am already back into old habits. That's how life in America is for me - fast-paced, always busy, always having to do something. That's not how life in Africa is. Africa has taught me to slow down, that time is irrelevant, that people are more important than projects, and that relationships are greater than tasks. Africa taught me that God is not pleased with how much I perform, but rather by how much I relate to him and to people. 

You can guess which lifestyle I prefer. But I couldn't believe how quickly I went back into "America-time." It was way too easy, too effortless. 

That night, I missed my life in Africa - where I don't operate off a to-do list, but rather wake up each day with the single objective of loving and serving other people. As I prayed myself to sleep, I determined that I was not going to have another day like today. I am going to live like an African in America. 

So if I am always running late, it's just because being on time and following a schedule isn't as important to me as embracing every opportunity and making the most of every moment. When you do that, you end up being late just about everywhere you go, but you are also never in a hurry to leave. 

If I put off something that needs to be done today, it's because I realize it really can be done tomorrow and that spending time with people is more important than my to-do list. 

If I accidentally say "bon soir" or ask you, "ca va?", it's mainly a habit, but it is also because greetings are so important. And then if I continue by asking you, "How was your day? And how is your family? Your work? All your activities?" it's just because I really do care about your life and want to make sure that everything is okay so that I can help you if you need it. I will probably also greet every person in the room with a handshake because acknowledging every person is important to me. 

If I sing really loud for church assemblies, it's because I really don't care what I sound like. I just want to worship God as loudly as I can. My loudness expresses my sincerity and unashamedness. I also might move a little bit with a tapping toe or a clapping hand because I can only contain myself so much, and Africans can't worship while standing still. 

If I pray at the same time as you...aloud...it's just because prayer has become a participatory thing for me, something that is done in community. When everyone prays together and at once, it creates a sense of unity, and it makes a beautiful symphony of worship and faith-filled requests. 

If what I am wearing doesn't match at all, it's because I have learned not to care. Outward appearances really don't have as much value as we place on them. 

If I drive a little bit like a crazy person, it's just because I just forgot that there are rules to follow and that other people are actually in a frenzied hurry to get to their next thing, whatever it is. I don't mean to offend you when I pull out in front of you or pass on a two lane highway, I just need to keep my crazy driving skills up for when I go back to Burkina. 

If I wear a jacket when it's 70 degrees, it's because I am used to 105 degree weather. If I freak out a little bit in the grocery store, it's just because I am not used to seeing so many options. If I keep talking about how "easy" everything is here, it's because it is. If I point out how much we as Americans are hypnotized by technology, fattened by indulgence, weighed down by accumulation, and spoiled by materialism, it's not because I am trying to be critical, but because those things just stand out to me more. 

If you come to my house and I serve you tea and rice with peanut sauce, it's just because I value your company and want to show you the best hospitality. If I make you take off your shoes at the door, it's just because I want you to feel at home, and I want you to experience the full African hospitality experience. Oh, and if I eat with my hands, don't be offended. In fact, you should try it; it's not a bad way to go. 

If I can't stop talking about Africa, it's because I can't help it. What's in your heart comes out your mouth. Living in Africa has taught me so much more about our great big, global God of the nations and how he works on behalf of his people to bring his kingdom on earth as it is in heaven. That's something you just can't keep to yourself. It is something worth sharing, something worth marveling at, something worth worshipping about. 

I love the United States, and it will forever be my first home. There is just some stuff that Africa does right, and I want to bring those things with me. I want people to catch on so that they, too, can experience the joy found in living simply and in community and in relationship where time is not so important but faith really is. I want to be African living in America. 

Comments