Some Things Change...And Some Things Stay the Same

"That's my boulangerie! We used to go there to buy our bread!" I proudly announced as we came into town. "And that's my tailor, right there. And that's the boutique where we would go and buy cokes on really hot days." Driving through Yako was like a blast from the past. 

Yako was my very first "home" in Burkina Faso. I stayed there at "les ailes de refuge" orphanage during the summer of 2013, and now here I was again, two years later, back in good 'ole Yako. 

Things have changed a little bit at the orphanage in the past two years. Nice new walls have been built, gardens have been planted, and an Aquaponics system has been installed. The school has moved to a newer and bigger location, and the old school has become a shelter for women where they can come with their children to live, receive job skills training, and hear about Jesus. The toddlers have their own play area now, and the laundry lady has her own hangar so she can wash all the clothes under the protection of the shade. There is even a brand new mess hall for the kids. Just to name a few.




Some things change, but some things stay the same. 

I saw some of the same kids from two years ago, and it was a joyous reunion when I remembered them and they remembered me. It was astonishing to see how they have grown and developed in just two years. And I was so, so happy to find that my little buddy here still has his bright smile and love for snuggling. 




Just like old times, I still found time to break out my guitar and sit with the older kids as we played music and worshipped. I think all they know is worship songs, so we get along well together. 

This time around, I was able to speak a little more French, so I enjoyed catching up with them and hearing about their lives. We then took turns teaching each other worship songs in French, English, and Moore, and every once in a while, we found a song that translates into all three. 



I love the things that have changed, and I love the things that have stayed the same. 

It gives me hope for the future. What will my village look like in two years from now? Right now, we have an empty piece of land that is filled with dreams. In two years, what will that land look like? What will our ministries look like? What will my life and relationships look like? I hope many things change: I want a new center for infants in distress, a medical clinic, perhaps a church and many other buildings. I want a bustling and thriving ministry for women and children in our Dagara churches. I want to have African friends and people who will mentor me spiritually, but I also want to have Muslim friends and animist friends who are curious about my friendship with Jesus. I want to see healthy and happy children instead of abandoned and mistreated children. I want to see villages come to Christ. I want to see the Dagara start to reach out to their unreached neighbors, people like the Djan. 

Yes, I hope many things change and grow, but I also hope some things stay the same. I want to stay in awe and wonder at the God of every culture. I want to remain freshly amazed at his kingdom work in Africa. I want to stay completely dependent and humble before him. I want to rest in this state of "I can't do anything without you". 

As long as those things stay the same, I have a feeling that the changes I long to see will happen. By the grace of God, who is able to do immeasurably more than all we can ask or imagine, they will happen. 

Comments

  1. I am so incredibly proud of you. Love and hugs to you and those you serve in Yako and Dano.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this the little boy in your author photo?

    Praying for you, Ashli.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment