By Invitation

In reflection of Easter this coming Sunday, I am more in awe of the hope-filling message of the good news of Jesus Christ. The Easter story - the story of the resurrection of Jesus - is a story of invitation. That word has stuck in my mind: invitation.

Jesus has invited us to accept his forgiveness and grace, which he purchased for us with his blood on the cross. It's a free gift, and we received it by invitation...not by anything we do to earn it.

He has invited us to carry our own crosses and die to ourselves. Our old way of living only left us hungry for something more, and now Jesus has invited us to participate in a full, abundant, rich life.

Through his own resurrection, he invites us to be resurrected also and to live a new life in Him. He invites us to be His children, to be adopted into his family, and to be called sons and daughters of God.

He invites us every day to follow Him and embrace the adventure he has for our lives.

And he invites us to join him in heaven, which he compared to a "wedding banquet". It is only by invitation that we are able to take our place at the table.

And the amazingly beautiful thing is this: the invitation is open to all.

This Easter, I am humbled. By myself and on my own, I deserve nothing good. I have earned nothing, especially before God. It is by grace we are saved, through faith and not according to our works. Apart from Christ, I have no good thing. And without Him, I would be nothing but a hopeless wreck seeking after some source of satisfaction and purpose.

So the Lord has put a new song in my heart as I remember that everything good in life is given by invitation.

Verse 1:
In all my sin, Condemned to die
You took my cross, Carried my curse
You conquered death and rose again to life
Now I am free; I have become your righteousness

Pre-Chorus:
Jesus you have called me to come
Embrace the life I have in your love

Chorus:
Everything I have is by invitation
From you alone all good things come
Nothing I have done has earned your favor
It's only by your grace that I come
By invitation

Verse 2:
Every day I wake up in your grace
Your mercies are new, I rise in faith
You call me again to take up my cross
And follow you no matter the cost

Verse 3:
The table is set, Our groom will come
The banquet hall has room for more
You call my name, I see Your face
And I will praise you for this invitation of grace

Bridge:
I'm saying yes, yes Jesus
Thank you for your invitation
I'm saying yes, yes Jesus
I am coming with you




Comments