Written Remembrance

When a friend sent me a link to this blog post called "Secrets of Success Found in Small Places" by Lysa TerKeurst, I felt like I could have written the exact same words. Just for today, read her words and soak up some encouragement from them.

I especially love the "power verse" at the end of the post, which says this:

"For it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill His good purpose." (Philippians 2:13 NIV)

How thankful I am that it is God, not me, who works so powerfully to act and to fulfill His will and purposes. Even now, when people ask about my book or it comes up in conversation, I feel like I am receiving credit for something I do not deserve. One of my new favorite attributes of God is author (Hebrews 12:2) because I understand what this means now more than any other time in my life. He writes our stories; we just have the humble position of the documenters or scribes. The Lord is the true author who deserves all the glory, and I am affectionately His "writer-downer".

As God writes your story of faith (including all trials and tumbles and triumphs), how will you document it, and where will you write it down?

Like the Israelites, will you create stones of remembrance (Joshua 4:20-22) or a record of God's faithfulness? Will you create your own personal copy (Deuteronomy 17:18-20) or write it on the walls of your house (Deuteronomy 11:20)? Will you keep a journal or start a blog...or maybe even publish?

So much more important than having our stories printed, published, or read is having them remembered. Sometimes the audience for the sharing of your story will be a larger crowd, and sometimes it will only be a few of your closest friends. Sometimes it will just be for your children. And sometimes, it is only between you and the Lord. The point is not the size of the crowd, but the greatness of our God and His worthiness to be remembered through our stories.

God is the author; we are only humble scribes, seeking to write and remember how much He has done for us so that His love, faithfulness, and grace may always be remembered and treasured.

"For it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill His good purpose." (Philippians 2:13 NIV)

Comments