Finding Jesus in Strange Places

Let me tell you about the nursing students' event of the week: colostomy bags. I didn't even know what an ostomy was until this semester, so for those of you who may not understand colostomies, allow me to explain briefly.

A colostomy is a surgical procedure performed to re-route the bowels. A section of the colon is actually brought to the outside of the body and covered in a bag. Therefore, instead of waste coming out where it normally comes out, it comes out of a hole in the abdomen and enters the bag.

Our proffesors decided that as a class of nursing students, we not only needed to learn about colostomies, but also needed to experience them. In order to provide the best care for our patients, we needed to understand the physical, emotional, and social implications that the procedure can have on a patient. So instead of just reviewing a powerpoint, we actually applied colostomy bags to each other in class and then wore them for the week.

So this week I have worn a colostomy bag (complete with fake poop) constantly - including during sleep and showering. In the process, I have learned what it might be like to live with a colostomy, and I do believe that I can better care for my patients because of the discomforts I have experienced.

This brings me to the "see something more" part of the story. It is amazing to me how you can find Jesus in the strangest places. I have come to believe that if you look hard and deep enough at any situation, you can draw something spiritual from it - even if it involves colostomy bags.

From this nursing adventure, I learned what it is like to take up a few discomforts in order to relate to my patients. The whole experience reminded me in some small way of Jesus when He laid down His place in heaven and took up many earthly discomforts so that He could live among and relate to His children.

You cannot deny that the two stories - my experience and Christ's - are dramatically different, but the lesson is the same. And an ostomy bag was what it took to remind me of the good news of Jesus Christ.

Jesus, in all His supremacy and sovereignty, put on a human body with all its discomforts and imperfections, so that He might show the full extent of His love to us, His people. By living among us in human form, He became like us. He became able to relate to us. Ultimately, He sacrificed His own life so that we could have an intimate and personal relationship with the King of the universe. He then arose from the grave so that we, too, could be made new and alive in Him! What great news! And oh, how I never tire of hearing it again and again.

We all need to be reminded of the gospel over and over again - even on a daily basis. For me, the reminder came through a random (and maybe even strange) nursing experience, but I love finding Jesus in the strange places. Look long and deep enough, and you will see Him and His gospel, too...everywhere you look.

Thank you, Jesus, for your amazing love and grace. We cannot grasp its vastness, but we thank you so much for its nearness to our longing hearts. Thank you for living among us so that you can relate to us. Thank you for dying and resurrecting so that we may know you personally and find favor with you. You are altogether lovely, altogether worthy, altogether wonderful. Thank you for the gospel. Remind us over and over again of the most beautiful story you ever wrote for us - the story of Jesus Christ. We want to live in light of that gospel; we want to live lives worthy of it.

Comments